where or when

"It seems we stood and talked like this before
We looked at each other in the same way then
But I can't remember where or when. . ."



previous posts
:: I am a Barbra Streisand fan. I'm not a humongous ... [>]
:: Mind the Gap is not about a clothing store Thursda... [>]
:: Ha.Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis. "You do not ... [>]
:: My life is rated PG-13.What is your life rated? I ... [>]
:: Yes, I was surprised too Mandy Moore and Macaulay ... [>]
:: Crown Heights, Ann Richards and a VERY strange mov... [>]
:: The Good, the Bad, and the HorribleThis weekend I ... [>]
:: Whatchu talkin' 'bout? Last night I made cookies, ... [>]
:: Spalding Gray, 62, Actor and Monologuist, Is Confi... [>]
:: Cookie Pressure Both Bubby and Radmila have cooki... [>]

:: Current Posts [>]

links
:: all about E [>]








Get Firefox!
Thursday, March 25, 2004

In the Image


I'm trying to finsh In the Image by Dara Horn before I have to turn it in on Saturday.

Ugh - I just checked to make sure and found out I had two books due yesterday! I hate having overdue books!

Anyway - I love this book. I can't figure out how I came to put it on reserve, but I'm so glad I did. The book is made up of sections and they all come to intersect somehow. Something that Bill saw in Amsterdam 50 years ago will be seen by Leora. It is not a difficult read, but very well-written. I feel like I know these characters. This book makes me want to write.

Yesterday at lunch I read one of the sections that tells the story of Bill's grandmother and was almost moved to tears. I may be a sucker when it comes to crying at movies, but I rarely get so moved by books.

The thing is, I wouldn't assume to have much in common with these characters. They are all Jewish and live or come to live in New Jersey/New York. The stories range from Europe in the 30s to New York nowadays. The book deals with such topics as spousal abuse, Jewish-American history, Spinoza, shell shock and Hasidism. And I am anxiously awaiting lunch so I can read more.

I think I'm going to have to buy it.

| | link


Creative Commons License
All original work on this site, unless stated otherwise, is licensed under a Creative Commons License.