where or when

"It seems we stood and talked like this before
We looked at each other in the same way then
But I can't remember where or when. . ."



previous posts
:: WorkSafe weblogs [>]
:: S*x Without a Trace? [>]
:: Which File Extension Are You? [>]
:: I voted. Yup. [>]
:: what are my goals? [>]
:: another Minnesota memory [>]
:: volunteer for the Texas Book festival [>]
:: um, what the. . .? [>]
:: I did mean to record this. [>]
:: another reason to like Whole Foods [>]

:: Current Posts [>]

links
:: all about E [>]








Get Firefox!
Monday, October 25, 2004
lunch at Hyde Park Bar and Grill

I was supposed to meet L for lunch at Hyde Park Bar and Grill at 11:45, and she hadn't come by 12:05. I had my eye on the door for her (unfortunately my phone doesn't work in Hyde Park), and instead, in walks my high-school English teacher, Mr. M.

I realize that the only people I use titles on are teachers, professors or doctors. Although I graduated from high school eight years ago, I still call him Mr. M.

He told me that he is working with English education students at UT. I asked if he liked it better than freshman English and he wouldn't admit to it. I said, "It's different." And he agreed with that. He told me that he had worked at HRW for a couple of years after leaving the LAA and that it wasn't very exciting. I told him I had interned there a couple of summers and we chatted about that.

He didn't remember my sister's name, but he asked about her.

He went back to his original table after we chatted for a bit and I finally glimpsed L across the restaurant. My poor waiter - he'd given me a table and I'd finally ordered a turkey burger to go. But he fixed it so I could eat it there and L and I were able to finally meet (30 minutes late) and talk shop.

edit: Before we got down to non-profit stuff, L asked me if I ever wanted to get married. How random is that? I was so surprised, I don't exactly remember my response. I think I said, "Yes, well, sometime in the future. It's not a lifetime goal." Inside I was thinking, why do you care? Do you have someone in mind? Yeesh.

Her conversation was all over the place at lunch, but we did manage to stay on topic for most of the meal.

| | link


Creative Commons License
All original work on this site, unless stated otherwise, is licensed under a Creative Commons License.